Almost every day we hear a news story about opioid addiction in America. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate that over 2 million people in the United States are currently addicted to prescription opioids. In Today’s Conversation, Leith Anderson talks with Dr. Lindsay Stokes about the opioid crisis and how churches and Christians can respond.
In this podcast, Dr. Lindsay Stokes, an emergency medicine physician in Albany, New York, explains:
- Her experiences in the emergency room with those who are addicted to opioids;
- Why opioid addiction became so prevalent in the U.S.;
- How to identify an opioid overdose and provide life-saving help;
- What churches can do for those impacted by opioid addiction; and
- How her faith impacts her work as an ER doctor.
Read a Portion of the Transcript
Leith: What’s the history of this? In terms of opioids, we’ve had opium. We’ve had morphine around for generations. Are these opioids new to this generation?
Share the Love
If you enjoyed the program, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That will help get the word out and raise the visibility of the show.